Monday, September 16, 2013

Settling in as a Greenie (new missionary).


Well it has been an awesome first week here in the field. I flew in on monday and I stayed at a member's house then tuesday afternoon we had the transfer meeting. My companion's name is Elder Harlow and he is from brigham city and he is really cool. We are assigned to the Thousand Oaks 1st ward and he has been here for a while so he knows his way around. I am still adjusting to the missionary life, but its been great and I'm learning a lot. Also I have learned some missionary terms for example Elder Harlow is a Grandpa because his first companion that he trained is training now. Also Elder Harlow has been out for 21 months so you could say hes pretty old, but he is a great teacher. This first week we have going around meeting a lot of the members and investigators. When we aren't doing that we are knocking on doors, which is always an adventure. We are in a car share so every other day I have to ride a bike, so I have been borrowing a members bike and I'm working with another member to try and get a bike formyself. We went over to the church building and it is a lot bigger than the ones back home. I will be going over there later today to make sure their hoops work though. It has been interesting getting to know all these different people and trying to figure out how we can help them. A couple of days ago we were on our bikes and we had locked our bikes next to a members house who I had never met before he wasn't there so we decided to walk down another street and tract for a while. When we came back to the bikes I saw some guy fiddling with our bikes, in my head I'm freaking out like its my first week and someone is already trying to take my bike. Turns out he was the member we wanted to see earlier joking around with us. He turned out to be a nice guy. Later we talked an investigator on sunday and she told us that she went to church today and that it was great and she felt comfortable and it really moved her. I was like that's great then my companion looked at me like I was crazy and proceeded to tell her to read the book of mormon and pray to know the truth. It was then that I realized that she didn't come to our church. I guess I still have a lot to learn, but she said she is still searching for the truth and I really hope she finds it. Anyways I am having a really great time and we have a lot of teaching appointments this week, so I am excited. I love you guys and I love hearing from you guys, sorry if I can't reply to everyone I don't have that much time on the computer

No comments:

Post a Comment