Monday, January 27, 2014

A Good Lamp Post

Happy birthday Jennifer! (sorry four days late) anyways this week was a really great week full of excitement. On Tuesday I got to be the senior companion for a day, I went on an exchange with Elder Kaelberer who just got her 2 weeks ago. It was a little stressful being out of my area for a day and he still doesn't really know his area. I was driving while he gave me directions "I think. . . it's that street you just passed." That's ok though we had some really good lessons together and we only got completely lost once. It was great to be able to share some of the things that I have learned here on my mission, and help him become a better missionary. I learned a lot from him about myself, and it was great to see how far I have come. He is going to be a great missionary I can tell.
On Thursday me and Elder Atkin had some good lessons we are teaching a pastor who loves asking us deep philosophical questions. It's always a good conversation with him he never wants to bash with us which is great. Later that day we taught Lisa Brinton who is still on track to be baptized this Saturday, so that is super exciting. She pretty much knew everything before we even started teaching her so we have just been helping her build her foundation of faith, so she doesn't get blown over in the storms of life. Also we taught Chris and Katherine and it went really well. It was a packed lesson with tithing, word of wisdom, chastity, and prophets. They are both doing great Chris is doing great getting ready for his baptismal date on Feb. 8th, and Katherine still isn't sure but she committed to try and give up coffee and pay tithing if she becomes a member. So that's great! She just hasn't gotten that spiritual confirmation that its true yet.
Then on Friday night the zone leaders car wouldn't start, so we went and helped them clean the corrosion on the battery and I was very helpful holding the flashlight. I guess I make a good lamp post, not really sure why. We got it started just in time to get back to the apartment by 9:00.
The next day we had a fantastic lesson with Willyam who has been really struggling to read the Book of Mormon, so we gave him a Spanish copy and a chapter to read. He came back having read not only that chapter, but he went to the beginning and read the first 14 chapters as well.
I was Shocked.
We had a great discussion about the Book of Mormon and how he can start making changes in his life. He has a long way to go, but he is well on his way. He told us out of all the books he has been reading to help him in his life "the Book of Mormon is just powerful." We are still working with him towards baptism eventually, but even if I don't see him get baptized I feel like I have help him bring light into his life that he didn't know was available.
I have a lot of great things to look forward to this transfer, and I am so excited. It's Elder Atkins birthday next month, so we get to go to the temple, 2 baptisms, presidents interviews, and a zone activity. And you can' complain about this California weather.
I love you all,
Elder Hamson

No comments:

Post a Comment